Digital marketing tactics have changed over the years but one thing has not – Customers are in the driver’s seat when it comes to the insights marketers need to deliver relevant, meaningful and useful content at the right time and the right place.
To realise the benefits of customer insight requires an integrated approach – especially when it comes to content – discovery, consumption and interaction.
Moving from planning to practice, especially within a large organisation with regional operations, business units, divisions and departments, processes are essential for adoption, quality and scale. Operationalising the integration of content, social media and optimisation is one of the essential workflows that marketing departments can implement. But what does that look like?
Here’s a content and social media focused optimisation workflow that often inspires our work at TopRank Online Marketing to get you started:
- Research Customer Segments and Develop Profiles / Personas
- Map Topics & Keywords to Buying Cycle for Each Major Customer Persona
- Create an Optimised Content Plan (New): Site, Blog, Social Profiles & Networks
- Off Site Content: Guest Blog Posts, Byline Articles, Content Objects (eBooks, Infographics, Video, Reports, Guides)
- Align Optimisation to Content Marketing Campaigns: White Papers, eBooks, Reports, Guides, Webinars, etc.
- Content Amplification: Organic and Paid
- Keyword Audit, Difficulty and Glossary – Identify broad themes and specific to customer segments
- Content & Digital Assets Audit
- Tech SEO Audit
- External Link Audit
- Social Media Audit
- Competitive Audit
- Restate hypothesis and strategy based on audit data
- Identify top priorities
- Document a timeline for implementation
- Identify internal and external resources
- Overlay brand messaging and keyword targets to the marketing plan (campaigns, projects)
- Assign measurement KPIs and outcomes to each major priority
On and Off Page SEO Implementation
- Keyword Mapping to Content
- On-Page Content Optimisation: Rewriting, Creation
- SEO Mechanics: Crawl, Page Speed, Structured Data, HTML/Code, URLs, Internal Links
- External Link Building: Acquisition, Reclamation, Disavowal – Coordinate with PR, Social, Partners
- Social Profile Optimisation, Registrations: Brand, Executives, Prominent Internal SMEs
- Digital Asset Optimisation: Image, Video, Audio, MS Office Docs, PDFs
- Share Optimisation Targets & Best Practices With All Content Creators: Marketing, PR, HR, Social, Legal, Corporate Comms
Social Media Integration
- Social Profile Alignment – Messaging, Themes, Trigger Keywords
- Optimise Social Connections: Google+, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Flickr, Instagram, SlideShare
- Blog Optimisation: Search, Social, Community, Syndication
- Social Network Development – Themes, Community Growth, Engagement
- Influencer Engagement: Advocacy, Co-Creation
- Social Media Content Amplification – Organic, Paid
Performance Measurement and Optimization
- SEO KPI Measurement: Ranking, Referred Organic Traffic Keywords, Links, Share of Search Results
- Social KPI Measurement: Brand + Keyword Mentions, Social Referred Traffic, Engagement, Social Citations, Sentiment, Share of Conversation
- Content KPI Measurement: PageViews of Target Content, Actions from Target Content, Shares, Engagement, Links
By incorporating customer and content optimisation into the content marketing process, you can realise operational benefits that range from increased adoption of optimisation best practices to becoming more efficient – i.e. capable of realising a greater impact without adding resources.
Thought #leadership mistake: Brands don’t have something distinctive to say
by @MatZucker @CMIContent
Read more https://t.co/8ArtK3Sjqk
#4IR #innovation #futureofwork #digitaltransformation #digitalworkplace #b2bmarketing #contentmarketing https://t.co/s62EAfFaGS
Attribution modeling is the pinnacle of the precise data driven nonsense we face in Marketing in 2018.
It's like saying it's the left eye that really makes the Mona Lisa so good.
It's the 5th note in Bohemian Rhapsody that works hardest, lets repeat it.